If you are feeling stuck at work or in your career, lacking progression, purpose, motivation or a sense of challenge, then a Career Coach might be able to help.
Working one-to-one with a qualified, experienced coach, focusing on the topic of your career, provides a safe and confidential space to explore where you are now, what’s working and what’s not, and what needs to change to help you feel more satisfied at work.
Many Career Coaches will take you through a structured programme designed to uncover your work values, your beliefs, personality characteristics, natural skills and help you explore your passion. All coaches have different areas of expertise, and may have a different focus, so do check when researching Career Coaches. Do you need someone with recruitment contacts, knowledge of creating a powerful C.V. and interview techniques advice, or do you want someone to help you understand what’s holding you back from making a transition?
A Career Coaching Programme is usually created after an initial consultation between the career consultant and coachee. Programmes can vary in length from 4 x 1 hour sessions, to 8 x 2 hour coaching sessions – we recommend that you talk to at least three career coaches before committing to a programme.
Although most individuals employ a career coach privately, this type of coaching can also benefit a team if it encourages unhappy staff to move on, addresses de-motivating factors, or helps team members to move up the corporate ladder, thus creating career development opportunities for other staff.
Find out about our Coach Matching Service
Career coaching is most effective for:
- Understanding what’s important to you at work
- Uncovering your limiting beliefs around career progression
- Taking stock of your transferable skills
- Creating the confidence to do something different
- Helping make a decision on which direction to take
The benefits to the individual:
- Increase in confidence and self-esteem
- Greater self-awareness
- Ability to capitalise on natural strengths and personality
- Renewed motivation and sense of purpose
- Additional career options to pursue
The benefits to the team:
- Individuals are working to their strengths
- Team members are trusted to perform their duties
- Unhappy team members move on after career counselling
- Increased team cohesion
- Higher motivation and improved productivity